AIM FOR: 64 ounces a day [or as recommended by your health professional]
[more if you are sweating, drinking alcohol or coffee]
WHY DRINK WATER?
Water is essential to life.
- It keeps the blood clean and flowing.
- It is necessary for the utilize and absorption of nutrients.
- Without water we would literally drown in our own poisonous metabolic wastes.
- If you don’t drink enough water you you cannot regulate your body temperature.
- It lubricate Joints.
- It Reduce asthma attacks.
- Reduce risk of breast cancer and colon cancer
- Plumps the skins [slows signs of aging]
- Reduces constipation.
- Reduces kidney stones
- Water is a natural appetite suppressant.
- It keeps brain functioning. Your brain is 75% water. If the levels of water in the brain drop even slightly [1%] you can experience a short-term ‘dementia, Ymemory loss and have trouble focusing. You will feel tired and dazed.
The brain does not store water. It is important to sip on water throughout the day, every day. Most experts recommend getting at least 64 ounces of water. If you are exercising, under-stress or trying to lose weight you will need more. For some, the thirst signal is clear. The urge to take a drink of water triggers well before dehydration occurs. For many this signal is not as strong. This is a particular problem with the elderly. That is why it is important to have a water drinking strategy.
Make it fun. Getting your recommended quotient of water does not need to be boring. You can infuse your water with tasty fruit, herbs and spices.
WATER DRINKING ACTION PLAN
– Start your day with 16 ounces of water.
– Keep a bottle of filtered water near you throughout the day, especially if you have a job that requires a lot of mental activity.
– Set a timer and drink @6-8 oz. of water every hour throughout your eight hour work day.
WATER INFUSION IDEAS
I would suggest purchasing an infusion pitcher to make adding zest to your water less messy. You will find them in the houseware section of many stores for $10 – $20. Add the ingredients. Let them steep for a few hours. Fill your glass and savor.
INGREDIENTS TO ADD TO INFUSER:
Mint, Lavender, Thyme, Basil, Sage, Rosemary, Tarragon, Ginger [Use fresh herbs. Bruise them slightly before you add them to release the savor. ]
SOME DELICIOUS COMBINATIONS
Cucumber Mint – Strawberry Cucumber – Lemon Strawberry – Cucumber Lemon Mint – Lemon Mint – Apple Cucumber – strawberry Mint – Grapefruit Lemon – Blackberry Sage- Blueberry Lemon – Raspberry Lime – Raspberry Peach – Ginger Lemon – Ginger Mint – Pineapple Blueberry – Pineapple Mint – Pineapple Sage – Cantaloupe Mint
– Freeze your favorite juice into ice cubes. Add them to your water.
– Chill your favorite teas.
KEEPING TRACK OF YOUR WATER INTAKE
– Write down on the back of a business card, everytime you drink a glass of water.
– Use a 12 ounces water bottle. Put 6 rubber bands at the bottom. Everytime you finish a bottle slide one rubber band to the top. The next day, slide them back to the bottom and start again.
– Fill a 64 ounces pitcher of water and keep it in the frig.
– For the more techy among us. Download an app on your phone to help you track.
FREE WATER TRACKING APPS
Aqua alert: Water Tracker
- Google Play / iTunes
- 4.6-star rating
- Gives a graphic display of daily consumption and level of hydration, has automatic bedtime mode, and keeps a consumption chart history.
“Very easy to set up the constant reminder and the amount of water to drink which tracks it everyday up to a month. I highly recommend to download this app, it does have minor ads but you can purchase the one without ads which I read it works with smart watches too.”
- 4.5 star rating
- Plan your drinking schedule, email the data to friends and doctors, and see a histogram of daily, weekly, or monthly consumption.
Top review: “I love this app because it is simple, single-focused and effective. Other apps try to do too many things and complicate the goal. On the home screen the app shows how many glasses so far which is great—you don’t have to open app to see where you are.”
- 4.5 star rating
- Get suggestions on handpicked gear; set custom goals; and, track ongoing averages.
Top review: “Super easy to use! The app allows you to set up custom reminders (both in the frequency of the reminders and the ability to customize messages). I checked out at least five different water tracker apps that were either too difficult to use, or that did not have a flexible enough platform to meet my specific needs.”
Water Time Pro
- Google Play
- 4.7 star rating
- Has flexible settings; offers automatic calculation of water consumption; and, tracks other beverages such as coffee and tea.
Top review: “Took less than 5 minutes to set up, and now the reminders helped me to increase to 1 gallon a day. Perfect balance of reminding without being annoying. LOVE the sleep feature and how the reminders work.”